amongst books

amongst books

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Michael Dennis

Last night at the Invisible Cinema (formerly Gallery 101, I'm told). Great turn out, KLB Cream Ale and movies to browse while you wait. All Those Miles To Go, his latest book is hand bound (Lyrical Myrical) in 50 copies. I got copy # 21 and they were selling fast. Very few familiar faces. One of the things that surprises me at readings is the way the crowds change. You'd expect to see the same people over and over again, but it doesn't work that way. There are those who attend specific reading series, but not others. I've heard Dennis read only once before at a Tree reading at least a year ago, and his poetry stayed with me, and his humble, understated attitude. I've read his work again in the library, but now finally had the chance to buy his new book and his last new and selected poems, This Day Full of Promise. Like Anders Carson, he's a truth teller, writing about brutal memories, observing human nature. There is also a simple beauty in his writing. I sat on the hardwood floor and leaned my head against a shelf of DVDs in order to see and then I closed my eyes. "if there is beauty this is part of it" Michael Dennis, All Those Miles To Go

No comments: