amongst books

amongst books

Monday, November 07, 2005

Poetic Desserts #1

Last night was the first in a monthly poetry reading series (first Sunday of the month, 7:30 pm), I'm hosting at my place, along with my friend, Michelle. Inspired by an array of dangerously sweet goodies (cupcake design by the lovely and talented Nathalie, letters by the equally talented and lovely Charles), eight poetry buddies read and listened to the work of others: cover poems, as the gang at Tree like to say. From the 19th floor, the wind chimes blew as we heard the words of Gwendolyn MacEwen, Sylvia Plath, Di Brandt, Hector de Saint-Denys Garneau, Stephanie Bolster, Robert Priest, Eric Folsom, Chloe Sainte Marie who interprets poetry through song, and les Cowboys Fringants! There may have been a few poets I forgot in my sugar high. Michelle, the rebel even read a section of prose from George Eliot's Middlemarch. We sent everyone home with a doggie bag of desserts, and poems still lingering on their lips. The next Poetic Desserts will be on December 4 for those of you who couldn't make it or who would be interested in taking part. I'm not able to take part in many evening poetry readings at pubs and other venues lately, but I hope to be doing that again soon.

1 comment:

Pearl said...

Sounds like a full house and good time.