amongst books

amongst books

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Why I Write Erotica

I've just purchased a book by Brenda Ueland, "If You Want To Write A Book About Art, Independence and Spirit." This is what it says on the back: "In her 93 remarkable years, Brenda Ueland published six million words. She said she had two rules she followed absolutely: to tell the truth, and not to do anything she didn't want to do."

This is how I feel and that's why I think it's important for me to write stories about sex and sexuality, to be open and honest about it, in a time when we are once again being told we should be embarrased by our desires and sexual identities. I say no to that and I want to be a voice that readers can count on to show tolerance for all consensual adult sexual activity, to show the transformative nature of accepting one's sexuality.

I am so tired of mainstream fiction that depicts sex negatively or vaguely. I've heard writers and publishers substantiate this by saying that they don't want to arouse the reader and make him lose the point of their stories. That is such a crock of shit.

Writers arouse all kinds of emotion in a reader: hate, sorrow, joy, etc. They don't flash a scene of the fireplace when someone is crying because it might cause the reader to cry so hard, he can't finish the story. They live for that kind of reaction.

I write fictionthat depicts sex and sexuality in a positive light. I think it's more needed than ever. Would most people rather read stories where their urges and needs for sex and intimacy are a dirty shameful secret? I guess so, and so, big surprise, I'm not writing for the masses. I knew that.

I write for those souls who feel alienated from societal convention, the truth tellers and the blatantly unapologetic: the women who wear plus sized clothing and want to be seen as sexy, the kinky who aren't ashamed of being flogged or wearing rubber, the gay men who have come out of the closet and want their own romance stories, the lesbians who are treated cruelly by society....all of those who don't feel accepted and need positive sex stories.

Those are the people I write for. And I still want to make the stories riveting and not all fun and flaky, but with depth, sensitivity and conflict. It's a challenge, but one I feel is worth taking on. In my bios, I call myself a love anarchist. I want to speak out and I'm not afraid. At times I hear snarky comments about the fact that I write erotica, but so what? I've never really cared about what people think of me, and I'm not going to start now.

For an aritcle I wrote on this subject, please go to Voracity Beat:
http://www.voracitybeat.com/1pomsom/earl/gomearl1.htm

Here are a few of my very kinky, sexually tolerant and often ridiculously zany erotic stories on line; I'm still really a beginner fiction writer, so I share these with you, even though I see flaws, cliches and crappy dialogue.
http://www.bluefood.cc/transportationgirls.html
http://www.erotica-readers.com/GD/S/Travellers.htm
http://www.erotica-readers.com/GD/TC-KE/Unravel.htm
http://www.unlikelystories.org/earl0705.shtml

Others are on sites you have to subscribe to, so I can't give you links.

2 comments:

Stephen Rowntree said...

You go girl, and keep a stiff upper lip, amongst other more savory things. We need to hear and read your voice, regardless of what the common herd and wattle say to the contrary. I have a collection od Nin's erotic poetry waiting for your sultry eyes. I'll bring it along to the next Poetic Desserts. Its yours for the keeping; Merry Christmas. A First Edition, no less.

Amanda said...

Stephen, you are a peach :) Thanks!