amongst books

amongst books

Friday, February 24, 2006

Bluebird North

Last night as the snow flew; Nat'l Library auditorium. Andy Stochansky, Emm Gryner, Peter Elkas and two folksters whose names escape me at the moment. This was such a treat. It's the third time I've heard Andy live and he never fails to mesmerize me with his talent. Emm was excellent also, playing piano the whole time. A new song of hers Blackbird Wings(??) was touching and poetic. I've heard her live a few times now, once when she opened for Ron Sexsmith and once when Trevor Tchir opened for her, at a few other smaller events too. The surprise of the night for me was Peter Elkas. First of all the man is drop dead gorgeous and most importantly, he channels Jeff Buckely. His voice goes into that higher register, so much like Buckley's angelic sound. And the electric guitar playing was divine too. It was a stellar night for music in Ottawa, and all for the low, low price of $15. I am really looking forward to Hawksley Workman in March...2006 is becoming a great year for concerts.

No comments: