amongst books

amongst books

Friday, August 11, 2006

Tired of sexism in the publishing industry

I'm so tired of publications that don't allow submissions from men. The rationale used is one of equalization, that there are more men being published than women. I find this hard to believe. The notion that because I am a dim-witted, weak little female and I can't get in to a publication based on the merit of my work, but instead, have to have a little booster chair to help me compete with those big ole men out there is just ludicrous. I continue to ban publications that discriminate based on age, sex, race, gender, and sexual orientation. It's the 21st century for heaven's sake, must we continue with these old fashioned notions? My gender doesn't have anything to do with the quality of my work. If a publication decided to ban women, there would be an uproar and calls of sexism, but when one decides to ban men (I'm thinking of the poetry journal Room of One's Own and the erotic imprint Black Lace by Virgin, specifically), it's just making sure that women are adequately represented. That's balderdash and it offends me. I will neither read nor submit to these publications and I encourage any one who feels as I do, to do the same. We're all humans here, let's try not to be so divisive.

2 comments:

Stephen Rowntree said...

yES! I suppose it depends on the co-efficacy of X's and Y's. I couldn't agree with you more, Amanda.

Stephen

Stephen Rowntree said...

yES, Amanda. I suppose it has to do with the binary of X's and Y's; neither one nor the other, but both.

Stephen