amongst books

amongst books

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

David O'Meara at Tonight's Tree-8pm Royal Oak 2, 161 Laurier Ave. East

alas i will be missing...but i was pleased to see a whole article on O'Meara in Saturday's Citizen.

especially his answer to the question below:

"What do you think when you hear the word 'Ottawa'? "

"Oh I could get really smart- alecky here, but I want to take the high road: It’s always fun to whine about Ottawa’s downsides, but I’ll take issue with people who genuinely complain about how boring it is. That whole attitude’s stale and a hand- me- down from earlier, less- privileged decades. There’s enough good music, sport, green space, art, culture, food etc. in this city to make a go of it. Sitting around whining about how we’re not New York or Montreal might be an easy way to look hip, but it’s pretty limited. Mostly, Ottawa is the abundance of really interesting, engaged and creative people I know."

Yay...we need more people to stand up and say stuff like this. Do it today. Find an excuse to brag about Ottawa's wonderful cultural side. In Toronto this weekend, I was stuck reading the Globe and Mail ugh. In the travel section, some idiot reporter again talked about Ottawa being just a government town that rolls up its sidewalks at night. How do we get some positive publicity for our city and the vivacity of our cultural scene? This is one of the reasons why I blog about events I attend, to get the word out. If you have any other ideas or initiatives, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

John W. MacDonald said...

David is an ambassador of Ottawa.