amongst books

amongst books

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

book meme

from Pearl

Total number of books owned ...um..i read, am not good with math.

Last book bought – Nicole Brossard’s Notebook of Roses and Civilization, translated by Robert Majzels and Erin Moure (Coach House Books, 2007-bought this morning)

Last book read – i’m halfway thru reading the above for the first time. before that, Lisa Jarnot’s The Iliad: Book XXII: The Death of Hector (Bookthug, 2007; actually a resurrection –original limited edition published by Atticus / Finch, 2006)

Five books which mean a lot to you

1. Robertson Davies – Fifth Business – taught me i wanted to write fiction; the man could spin a story.

2. Nathalie Stephens – Je Nathanael – showed me that genre labelling is about as important as gender labelling, which is to say not at all.

3. The Story of O – Pauline Reage – made me realize a lot about myself and my nature.

4. Elizabeth Smart – By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept – another genre bender. is it poetry, is it prose? who gives a rat’s ass. and it’s cool that Ms. Smart was an Ottawa resident, lived a romantic and scandalous life.(Rosemary Sullivan’s bio of her: By Heart, is good)

5. Gwendolyn MacEwen – Volume One, The Early Years – awoke me to the power and beauty of contemporary poetry (and I loved Rosemary Sullivan’s bio of her, Shadow Maker, too).

( i know this isn’t really part of the meme, but Pearl had it, so i’ll add it as a separate question):

Am I attached or loyal or keen on a particular book that moved me or shaped me or was a guidebook or that I became an evangelist for that I would want everyone to read? What about more recently?

Living Juicy by SARK – reminds me all the time to live in the moment, to make each moment count, to seek love and loving people.

The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities by Dossie Easton and Catherine A. Liszt is a book i recommend almost as much as When Someone You Love Is Kinky by the same authors. If you’re considering non monogamous relationships or are in one and want some non judgemental guidelines, read the former; if you’re trying to help a loved one understand your sexual nature, opt for the latter.

anyone else want to climb on board the meme? Marcus? Megan?

No comments: