amongst books

amongst books

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sex First & Then A Sandwich

is my new chapbook of ghazals & anti-ghazals soon to be published by above/ground press on the occasion of the press's 19th anniversary.

to celebrate the anniversary, I am pleased to be reading with these wunderbar poets & friends: Cameron Anstee, Stephen Brockwell, & Marilyn Irwin.
the event takes place on Thursday, August 9 at 7pm at the Mercury Lounge. There's a $5 cover which includes an above/ground press chapbook.

above/ground is my fav small press because of the wide variety of work published & also because of how well the work is promoted. thanks to rob mclennan for his constant encouragement, guidance & hard work.  
in theory, a coupla my poems will be read (via the fancy mechanical tricks of Charles who recorded them for me & the CKCU radio folk) on Literary Landscapes tonight at 6:30pm. rob mclennan will be on the show, talking about the event with host Dave Currie. Another live interview on CKCU's Special Blend with Susan Johnston will take place on Friday, July 27 August 3 between 7-8am, featuring rob, Cameron & Marilyn.

also rob has done another one of his excellent media blitzes for the launch. I'll post links to relevant stuff when it's on line.
furthermore, I neglected to mention that the Puritan's new issue also contains recordings of the poems in the HTML version.

finally…I've made a  "Sex First & Then A Sandwich" playlist on Youtube.
1. MacArthur Park - Richard Harris
2. Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
3. Nights in White Satin - the Moody Blues
4. I Want To Know What Love is - Foreigner
5. Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.
6. Desperation Row (cover) - My Chemical Romance
7. Cherry Bomb - the Runaways
8. These Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra
9. Sugar, Sugar - the Archies
10. Ballroom Blitz - The Sweet
for some reason it includes ads (sigh) , 70s music from my childhood & smarmy, angsty stuff from later on…we had joy we had fun…we had nightmares in the sun…ah the fuckupery that instigates poetry...

No comments: