amongst books

amongst books

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

An Invitation to Layton Reloaded

Readings inspired by the life and work of Irving Layton and featuring Amanda Earl, Amatoritsero Ede, Phil Hall,Seymour Mayne, Sandra Ridley, and David Solway.
Doors -8pm; Readings-8:30pm; no cover
Saturday, May 4, 2013
the Mercury Lounge, 56 Byward, DOWNSTAIRS

my poems will be adaptions, remixes & regenderings of some of Irving Layton's poems.

i responded to a call last year  to engage with the work of Irving Layton by means of "homage, parody, retort, homolinguistic translation, or any other dialectical form (glossa, travesty, echo poem, etc."

I always enjoy this process. In this case, I went through A Wild Peculiar Joy, the Selected Poems (McClelland & Stewart, 2004). I ended up with a number of poems and I also ended up with a keener insight into Layton's poetry, how he used animals in his work, his colour palette, his use of inanimate objects. I recommend this sort of active study to all poets. It's a great way to engage with another poet's work and to learn about technique.

Thanks to Rob Stacey and Cameron Anstee for the call and for inviting me to participate in the reading. I'm honoured to be in fine company.

I hope to see you there.

No comments: