amongst books

amongst books

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Radio Interview & Reading This Week

I will be reading with American poet Jessica Smith & recent Diana Brebner Poetry Prize winner Marilyn Irwin at the Factory Reading Series on Saturday, July 13 at the Carleton Tavern, 223 Armstrong (near the Parkdale Market) UPSTAIRS.

I'll be reading from a series  of new hybrid sequences aka prose-poems entitled "jazz." for those of you who have heard me read at Tree or at Voices of Venus this year, this is entirely different work. I have been working on it for a few months now, so it is my freshest stuff. I've been a bit frustrated with the need to pigeon hole creative work into categories,  listening to jazz & letting my short attention span wander. Ron Sexsmith has a song called "Jazz at theBookstore" about how great music now serves as background in caf├ęs & bookstores. one of the inspirations for this series has been Esi Edugyan's amazing book "Half-Blood Blues" about a group of black jazz musicians in Paris & Berlin during WWII. 

While I occasionally do read works I've read in public before, I prefer to read work that is new to an audience. I have found that just having a reading scheduled is usually impetus for me to write something new, try something different.

The bios of the readers can be found here. I am quite chuffed to be reading with Jessica for the first time & to be reading once again with Marilyn with whom I shared a stage last year as part of a Factory Reading Series reading to launching our chapbooks & those of Stephen Brockwell & Cameron Anstee at the Mercury Lounge basement. 

Thanks once more to rob mclennan for inviting me to read. I am pleased to be part of the 20th anniversary celebrations of above/ground press, which I consider to be my home, since rob has published three of my chapbooks and been highly supportive of my writing & encouraging of my creative pursuits, as madcap as they often are. By the way, if you haven't yet gotten your annual  above/ground press chapbook & broadside subscription, do so now.

In advance of the reading, Mitchell Caplan, longstanding host of CHUO's Click Here will be interviewing me on Wednesday, July 10 at approximately 5:40pm. I will read a few of the poems from "jazz." Also joining us by telephone will be Marilyn Irwin, who will also read some of her poems & no doubt answer a few of Mitchell's trenchant questions. The show will be in the archives for a month.

In advance of our reading, Marilyn will give a reading at Wednesday night's Chrysalis Zine launch, along with Toronto writer Naomi Freedman at the Daily Grind at 9:30pm. [doors-9pm/$8 includes copy of the latest issue.]


If you are in Ottawa & would like to partake of poetry on a Saturday night upstairs at the Carleton Tavern where the pizza and smoked meat sandwiches are sublime and the company is charming, please come. I would love to see you & stare into your eyes whilst I'm reading.

No comments: