amongst books

amongst books

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Please donate or join our AIDS Walk Ottawa Team

AIDS Walk Ottawa takes place on Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 7pm. There's a community fair at 3:30pm & also a run. Charles & I have been participating in this walk for at least ten years, forming the Bywords team in 2003.

This is an important world-wide cause, but it is also an important cause for the local literary community. Money raised supports seven local organizations who are helping Ottawans affected by AIDS/HIV.

"In the community of Ottawa, it is estimated that over 3600 people are living with HIV. Of those, 25% have not been tested and do not know they are HIV positive. Early detection and treatment can reduce the transmission of HIV and encourage those affected to access treatment and support." from the AIDS Walk Ottawa site.

Charles' birthday falls in September.  Over a decade ago when I asked him how he wanted to celebrate he said he wanted to participate in the walk & raise money for this important cause. You can understand why I love him. Come celebrate life, people & community with us. We'll go out for drinks after...

Please help us. Join the team if you have that evening available. It's a lovely candlelight walk through the streets of downtown with a group of caring, fun individuals. Help us raise money or give a wee bityourself.

I usually say that if I raise a certain amount, I'll wear a tutu, but hell, I’m wearing it anyway. Last year I offered a few perks, but this year all I am offering is a chance to support a worthy cause & help support those who are dealing with AIDS/HIV in our community.

[photo of me in tutu by Charles Earl]

No comments: