amongst books

amongst books

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

New 2014 Blog Feature: Poetry 5 x 5

In 2013, I was part of Oh Get A Grip, a group blog of ten erotica and romance writers who wrote on the same topic for a period of two weeks. One of the aspects I enjoyed about the blog was having the luxury of a regular schedule and knowing the topics in advance. 

I thought this would be a good thing to try on my literary blog for poetry. So this year I am going to tackle five poetry-related topics on a rotating basis. This means that every two weeks on Wednesdays there will  be a new entry on poetics and poetry. The topics will be as follows:

Recent Reads in Poetry - in 2013 I didn't write much about the poetry I was reading, so there's a backlog of work to cover…not to mention the books I will read this year. I will talk about poetry collections as well as books on poetics, and chapbooks.

Theme - a close look at a particular concept or some aspect of a poet's work. This could be a contemporary work or something from a previous century, depending on where my explorations take me.

Chapbook Review - a more in-depth look at a particular chapbook; I've chosen chapbooks as my focal point here because they get less notice than spiny pubs.

Event Report - I used to do these regularly. Wee snippets from poetry readings I attended. Time to revisit.

Gleanings from the Web - an annotated list of links to poetry, poetics, interview, reviews, podcasts etc in online publications.

The OGG posts allowed me the opportunity to focus on issues relating to fiction writer's craft and more specifically, the genre of erotic fiction. I found it very rewarding and readers seemed to enjoy it too. In 2014 I'd like to focus on poetry in the same way. I hope you enjoy. Stay tuned for the next post on Recent Reads on January 15. As always I would appreciate your comments and thoughts.

One side ambition I have for this project is that it engenders conversation that might in turn engender essays for the AngelHousePress essay series. So bear that in mind!


I hereby dub 2014 the year of exploration. I hope you will join me, fellow poet-explorers…happy new year!

1 comment:

quillfyre said...

Sounds like some great reading to come in 2014!

Thanks, Amanda!

C