amongst books

amongst books

Monday, March 17, 2014

My Writing Process - Blog Tour

Thanks to my pal, rob mclennan, for inviting me to do this. he writes about his writing process here.

1) What am I working on?

I'm working on a lot of things at the same time, but for the purposes of this assignment, I will focus on one: a genre-blurry trilogy called Trouble, Heaven & Paradise.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

I don't even know other stuff in this genre. it's not one genre. It's part poetry, part rock opera, part theatre, part who the fuck knows.

3) Why do I write what I do?

I'm always playing around. In this case, I had the pleasure this winter of discovering the brilliant writing of Tom Walmsley, some of which includes plays & a libretto. I've always been interested in the theatre. As a youngster in university I took a few courses on the Theatre of the Absurd. 

I am also really fascinated by the work of Anne Carson & the way she mixes genres. Her translations of Greek tragedy in An Oresteia are so poetic & contemporary. This work mixes in the mythology of Eurydice & Orpheus with the Bible.

4) How does your writing process work?

For part of this project, I edit using an electric guitar. Part 1 was a long poem written in 48 hours, responding to "What Happened," a poetry collection by Tom Walmsley while I listened to the music of Tom Waits. I often write in a crazy quick way while listening to music.

It's always a matter of feeling an urgency to respond to something that has affected me in some way. Could be a line or image from a poem or a novel or a short story, a combination of sounds in a piece of classical music, song lyrics, a painting or a sculpture, a tidbit of conversation. I listen, I look around, I take it all in.

Next week's blog tour participants are


Rachel is an Ottawa-based poet whose work has appeared in Canada, the United States and abroad. Currently, she enjoys writing from a blanket-layered radiator beside a drafty window overlooking a quietly eventful street.


Carol A. Stephen is a Carleton Place poet, shortlisted 2012 3rd place winner in Canadian Authors Association National Capital Writing Contest,.authored of Above the Hum of Yellow Jackets, and Architectural Variations.


Margento is a Romanian poet, performer, academic, and translator who has performed and lectured in the US, SE Asia, Australia, and Europe. 


No comments: