amongst books

amongst books

Saturday, September 06, 2014

My Picks for the Ottawa Folk Festival

I don’t know how many of you know that I’m a music freak. I don’t take the time to see many live concerts because I’m not much of a night person, but on occasion I’ll go out to some of our great music festivals or concerts. I love the folk fest. here are some of the musicians I’m particularly looking forward to next week; although one thing I love about festivals is unexpected discoveries, so I’m sure I’ll hear some other great music I’ll love; maybe I’ll see you there:

Wednesday, September 10  

M. Ward. I have & love Duet for Guitars #2; also enjoy She & Him. He’s a softspoken singer & an aces guitarist.

Thursday, September 11

Jill Zmud, a hugely talented Ottawa singer-songwriter who performed at last year’s Bywords John Newlove Poetry Award at the Ottawa International Writers Festival. I love her voice

Serena Ryder, once again, her voice makes me weak in the knees.

Friday, September 12

Lee Fields and the Expressions, ahhh soul.

The National – I love Matt Beringer’s dark voice; it’s so damn sexy. I have three of their albums. I’m a fan.

Saturday, September 13

Seasick Steve, I love the slide guitar & this fella will give it to you. I have never seen him live.

Neutral Milk Hotel, a gorgeous combination of instruments, heady voice of lead singer & quirky lyrics. what more do I want? I don’t have any of their albums … yet…

Sunday, September 14

Hurray for the Riff Raff – I only discovered Alynda Lee Segarra & I love what she’s doing with the blues. feisty!

Coeur de Pirate – a dear friend gave me one of her songs & i thought her voice was quite sweet & fun.

the Gaslight Anthem – the variety of music styles at this festival, I tell ya…these guys play in a kind of speedy alt punk style


this is going to be so much fun!

No comments: