amongst books

amongst books

Monday, June 01, 2015

Beast Body Epic excerpts published in Hood

have you checked out Lynn Crosbie's pop up online magazine Hood yet? Lynn pairs offbeat, unconventional writing with offbeat, unconventional art & photography. I am there now with excerpts from Beast Body Epic, a long poem. Beast Body Epic, in case you wanted to know, plays around with feeling like a fucking weirdo in a society of straight-laced & comfortable people, with alienation of the body, with the sexual & the grotesque. It fucks around with order to reproduce the fragmented chaos of nightmare.

bits & pieces of Beast Body Epic have been published in
The Pickled Body, a lovely little entity in Ireland. 

Dusie.Org, the Tuesday poem, curated by the lovely & hard-working rob mclennan.

& now in Hood's 13th installment. I'm really happy about that part of BBE was published in Hood. I love it when someone gets what I'm doing, when it resonates for them. Makes me feel like less of a stranger...

I wrote the draft of Beast Body Epic like I do with a lot of long poems I write in a 48-hour frenzy while listening to Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral over & over again. I was working out my post health crisis body issues, the long scars that covered my stomach, the bruised rose-like scar from the chest tube shoved into me when a lung collapsed. i was figuring out how to get my armour back.

I read Beast Body Epic in its entirety to an attentive & friendly audience at VERSeFest 2014 when I was inducted into the VERSeOttawa Hall of Honour with Danielle Gregoire. It was an experience I will never forget.

I'd like to shop this manuscript around to publishers, but can't for the life of me figure out who would want anything so fucked up...so if you know of anyone who might be interested in freaky fragmented PTSD caterwauling, please let me know.

No comments: