amongst books

amongst books

Thursday, April 07, 2016

IMPROMPTU 7: Restlessness is me

Today’s prompt comes from Simone Muench.

I have chosen to write a moment of my life in the form of a cento made from song lyrics.

Restlessness is me[i]

I might not stay[ii] blue
let me sail away an empty space
to fill in

everybody’s saying that hell’s
the way to go,
I’m going to take

a look around[iii] no
destination:[iv]  out in the sweet
unknown[v] to  lose control[vi] oh

my god I see how everything
is torn[vii] it’ hard
to be safe[viii] I never want

to close
my eyes again[ix] I dream of
growing wings

so I can fly[x]
little bird flying in the breeze[xi]
everything is not enough[xii]

Thanks to Simone for the prompt, which I enjoyed. I have provided the names of the songs and the names of the musicians, who also, composed the songs. I am partial to songs with good lyrics. Sometimes I’ve taken away a word or changed to present tense.

I’ve always enjoyed centos. I’m not particularly fond of writing about my life in any big sweeping way, so I chose a moment.

Here’s Townes to say everything better than I could ever…





[i] Ane Brun, Changing of the Seasons
[ii] Lucinda Williams, Something About What Happens When We Talk
[iii] Joni Mitchell, Blue
[iv] Tom Waits, Grapefruit Moon
[v] the Heartless Bastards, Could Be So Happy
[vi] Girl in a Coma, Control
[vii] Agnes Obel, Riverside
[viii] Ane Brun, Changing of the Seasons
[ix] Annie Lennox, A Thousand Beautiful Things
[x] Eels, I’m a Hummingbird
[xi] Lucius, Nothing Ordinary
[xii] Townes Van Zandt, To Live is to Fly


No comments: