amongst books

amongst books

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

One Thing Too: Devon Balwit

I want to send you an image from one of my favorite artists, Ivan Albright.  As a teenager, his work fascinated me (and it continues to do so and to inspire many ekphrastic poems).  I was captivated by how his surfaces were roiling and bubbling, splitting and blistering.  Much was going on unseen (just as it was within me then and still is now).  I was taken by the fact that he spent years, even a decade, on a single work.  That spoke to an obsessiveness and a fierce fidelity to his own vision that I hoped to find within me as well as I undertook my own creative tasks.  Also, many people find his works repellent as his humans and the worlds they inhabit look wrecked or diseased.  In contrast, I took (and take) comfort from this.  It is from our wreckage that we create.  It is from disease that we heal (or die and change).

This painting, "That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do (The Door)" was the one that took him a decade to paint.  It hangs in the Chicago Museum of Art.  It is worthy of a pilgrimage. 

your invitation:
tell me or show me one thing. it doesn’t have to be profound. it could be visual or written or a combo of both.  it could be about your work; it could be an artefact or a glitch, a link to some film or tv show you’ve watched or a coffee place you like. it could be short or long. i’ll post it along with a link of your choice to your work or somewhere else. disclaimer: i might choose not to post if it doesn’t suit me.
your reward? send me your mailing address & i’ll send you something whimsical…
it’s dark out there this summer  fall/winter [since the election of that motherfucker in the USA etc] ; i think we need an injection of whimsy / duende.
so fire away. svp. amanda at angelhousepress dot com

No comments: