amongst books

amongst books

Monday, February 13, 2017

Toronto: Canthius Issue 3 launch at Likely General


 On February 11, Charles and I took the train to Toronto where I was reading as part of the launch of Canthius magazine's third issue along with the talented Nicole Brewer, Doyali Islam, and Lisa Richter.

First we imbibed in some delicious cider at the Cider House.


 Then we walked next door to the beautiful little gift shop, Likely General, where the reading was being held.

After listening to the engaging and delightful short fiction and poetry of my fellow readers, I opened with an excerpt from "Kiki," read poems from the issue, including one by fellow contributor and amazing poet, Ariel Dawn, then read from a new work in progress, "Lady Lazarus Redux," from "Electric Garden/Grace."

It's a terrifying experience to read to a group of people who I don't know at all, but the audience was kind and attentive, and the hosts, Cira and Claire, were welcoming and made sure everything was taken care of. It was a pleasure to talk to people afterward.

The issue is gorgeously designed by Quentin Mitchell with artwork by Tafui. Thanks to the editorial team of Canthius: Claire Farley, Cira Nickel, Puneet Dutt and Chuqiao Yang for putting this issue together and for Canthius. It's a smart and engaging magazine. I wish it many happy years of circulation.

Thanks to the League of Canadian Poets for underwriting my shenanigans and to the City of Ottawa and the Ontario Arts Council for funding the work published in the issue and WIP. Thanks to Brick Books for the OAC Writers Reserve Recommendation for same.
 On Sunday, we left snowy Toronto




to return to an even snowier Ottawa (28 cms!). I look forward to my next out of town reading in Windsor.

No comments: